Registration is USD$15 and participants are chosen on a first-come, first-served basis.
Performance slots will be given to the first 10 applicants to apply; there will also be 5 alternate slots in the event of cancellations.
Original compositions presented during the 2018-2019 season songSLAMs must:
- be composed for voice and piano
- feature texts that are in the public domain or have written and signed permission from the author/trust
- receive their world premiere at our event.
Songs should be no more than 5 minutes in length.
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
6:30 cocktails, 7pm concert
Walter Hall, Faculty of Music
University of Toronto 80 Queens Park, Toronto, ON.
IN COLLABORATION WITH SPARKS & WIRY CRIES, WOMEN ON THE VERGE PRESENTS SONGSLAM: A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY FOR EMERGING CLASSICAL MUSIC COMPOSER/PERFORMER TEAMS TO PREMIERE NEW ART SONGS AND COMPETE FOR CASH PRIZES.
Teams will present a new song of no more than 5 minutes for voice and piano in any language for the voting audience, who—in the poetry slam tradition—will then vote on their favourites and award a total of $2000 in prize money.
Teams are encouraged to bring their friends, as all prizes will be awarded by audience vote!
No more registrations being accepted.
Registration is USD$15 and is on a first come, first served basis. There will be 10-12 performance slots and 5 alternate slots available to make up for cancellations. There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
Ticket information coming soon.
Interested musicians should sign up at:
Registration opens: November 5, 2018 9AM EST
Registration closes: December 5, 2018 Midnight EST
Score submission: January 2, 2019 Midnight EST
4. A composer can only submit ONE song for the event. Performers can only perform in ONE song for the event.
5. Texts may be in any language.
6. There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
7. Composer must be present during the premiere event.
8. Scores for songSLAM must be completed and submitted by the due date